Thursday, October 7, 2010

Starting College

OK. So yeah. I just started college and it's a whole different world than what most people think. You think "Oh no, it's college. It's going to be so much harder and the people are going to be so mean." But no it's really not. People here accept you for who you are. Unlike high schoolers, people in college encourage you to be different. There really is no popular and not popular, it's just one big mesh of people that are around and you don't have to stick to just one "group" of people. Also when you are in college you can find yourself. No, I'm not saying that in the first two weeks of college that I've found myself, but I see that I can be the person that I want to be, not the person that everyone expects you to be. When I came to college I realized that 99% of these people don't know anything about me, they don't know what I was like in High School so now I can be the person that I wasn't in High School. Now I don't have to worry "Oh is this person going to like me, or oh she might think that I'm weird and probably won't talk to me." I've found that it is easier to talk to others here in college because they have a more open mind about things and they wont make a definitive judgment from the first few words out of your mouth. My favorite part about this is no one can tell you who to be. The professors they seem to like everyone and they don't show any favoritism but then again I have yet to meet all the professors and see how they are around people. And everyone here encourages you to follow your dreams. So what if you are a Philosophy   Major, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't join choir or audition for one of the musicals that the school is producing. This is all a learning experience and I think that everyone who has a mind should at the very least attempt it. Don't say "Oh it's too hard," either because there are so many people willing to help you and the resources, there are so many ways for you to succeed, all you have to do is want it!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! College. I'm glad you got to see the way college ACTUALLY is and not the protrayal of it from little high school kids.
    Arr.
    See why I've liked college so freakin' much?

    ReplyDelete